hHome Find a Club

Bayswater claim U18 Top Four Cup

Report by Callum George

Keiran Coyne’s first half header proved to be the difference as Bayswater City defeated Inglewood United 1-0 to lift the U18 McInerney Ford Top Four Cup on Saturday at Finance 365 Stadium.

With Inglewood defeating Bayswater only a week ago in the qualifying final, City appeared to come out seeking revenge, starting the match the brighter of the sides.

Just ten minutes into the match, Bayswater captain Adrian Manno lobbed a ball over the Inglewood defence in search of striker Ezekiel McPherson, who was just a touch away from putting it past Inglewood goalkeeper Mitchell Haywood, but the young custodian stood strong and gathered possession.

That early chance had put the Inglewood defence on high alert.

Bayswater winger Gab Riquelme set up the first goal of the match, with defender Coyne getting on the end of his set-piece, slamming home a header at the back post just after the half hour mark.

Bayswater could have gone into the break with a two nil lead after Connor Mckee sprayed a volley over the bar from the edge of the area.

Despite their dominance, Bayswater only had the one goal to show for it at the half.

Defender Ajak Riak almost changed that immediately in the second half when he got on the end of Coyne’s cross and blasted a header towards goal, only to be denied by an outstanding save from Haywood.

Only moments later Riak had another golden chance to double the lead, this time dribbling into the box from the right and firing a shot just inches wide of the far post.

As the match went on Bayswater continued to waste chances in front of goal, leaving the door ajar for Inglewood to capitalise.

Inglewood coach Richard Abrams opted to use all three of his substitutions before the hour mark, changing to a three at the back and throwing everything they had at Bayswater.

With just under ten minutes to go, captain Ben Docherty went agonisingly close to finding an equaliser. The defender got on the end of a corner and drilled his header just past the post.

Ben Pellizzari also had a chance to force the match to extra time when the ball fell to his feet inside the box, but could only direct his shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Coyne’s first half header proved enough as Bayswater managed to hold on for a gutsy 1-0 win.

Inglewood coach Richard Abrams was humble in defeat.

“I just think they were better than us today, we didn’t win any of the second balls which we asked the boys to do, but all credit to Bayswater, they were the better side”.

“From third bottom last year to league winners is a massive turn around, so full credit to the players and the staff for that.”

Meanwhile, Bayswater coach Gary Williams delighted with how his side bounced back. “We kept it fairly consistent, after conceding five against (Inglewood) last week,” he said.

“They finished on top of us by a point in the league. In terms of games we played, we both won one, we drew one and then we got them today, but Inglewood are a very good side, well coached and deserved to win the league.”

Inglewood United 0

Bayswater City 1 (Coyne 32’)

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Finance 365 Stadium

Kick-off: 10:00am

Referee: Mitchell Barrington

Assistant Referees: Vraj patel, Jake Friend, Harry Bolan

Inglewood United: 1. Mitchell HAYWOOD, 2. Adam FIELDS (17. Connor McCANN 45’), 3. Brandon CLARKE, 4. Ben DOCHERTY, 6. Nelson TOSHONGO, 7. Ben PELLIZZARI, 9. Curtis JORGENSEN (12. Alley MANYOL 61’), 10. Kieran PATTERSON, 11. Jack LAVIS, 14. Harley CURRAN, 16. Renee KIESA (8. Tyler GARNER 59’)

Substitutes: 5. Matthew SUTCLIFFE,

Yellow Cards: Ben DOCHERTY 38’, Jack LAVIS 56’, Brandon CLARKE 88’

Red Cards: Nil

Bayswater City: 1. Owen FISHER, 2. Bojan NINKOVIC, 3, Jake MELIA, 6. Adrian Manno, 7. Gab RIQUELME (14. John LAHAI 71’), 8. Tom WARBURTON, 11. Ajak RIAK, 12. Logan RINDEL,16. Keiran COYNE, 17. Connor MCKEE, 21. Ezekiel MCPHERSON

Substitutes: 13. Dean KEZURER, 15. Tristan BARBAS, 19. Kawad REZAI, 25, Jak MOLONY

Yellow Cards: Bojan NINKOVIC 70’

Red Cards: Nil