hHome Find a Club

Fremantle grab unlikely draw against UWA

Report by Dennis Gedling

Fremantle City somehow snatched a 2-2 draw with UWA-Nedlands in an amazing finish at the UWA Sporting Fields.

All four goals in the State League Division One stalemate came in the final 13 minutes with UWA’s two goals in 90 seconds cancelled out by two goals in the final six minutes plus stoppage time by Fremantle City.

The manic ending saved a game that was otherwise lukewarm up until the 60 minute mark when substitutions made by both sides made an impact.

With both teams winless in their previous two games, UWA started the brighter with two half chances in the first six minutes, Fremantle City then got on top and they almost scored when a flick-on saw Josh Wade’s header hit the crossbar. Then at the other end UWA right-back Sam Guthridge’s cross-cum-shot almost beat the keeper and went in.

With the exception of an early goalmouth scramble, the second half didn’t really fire up until Mordecai Kuma came on for UWA-Nedlands. On 63 minutes Wade Farmer should have buried a chance for Fremantle after another flick-on from a dead ball situation. Farmer was then put through and almost got a shot over the onrushing Alex Preece but the UWA keeper saved well.

Then on 77 minutes Kuma broke the deadlock for UWA. The super sub took advantage of some great build-up play to sidestep his marker and put the shot away from just inside the area.

Some 90 seconds later it was 2-0 in comical circumstances. Joseph Hayden broke down the left for UWA and his low cross caused a mix-up between the Fremantle keeper Struan Herd and Wade, with the latter panicking and putting the ball into his own net.

On 81 minutes it was almost 3-0 with UWA players lining up on the counter but the final shot from the right was saved well by Herd. Fremantle’s tempers began to fray with the first and only booking of the match seeing Callum Roberts go in the book for dissent after an offside call.

But Fremantle stuck to their task and pulled one back through the lively Roberts, who slid the ball home after a cross was headed down by captain Alec Robinson.

That route one way back in to the game gave Fremantle a sniff but it seemed time would run out for the visitors. Yet they persisted as UWA desperately hung on for the final whistle and in the last minute of time added on Reynolds started a move the went to Robinson, who in turn set up Farmer to finish from close range to make it 2-2. A grandstand finish to a very even game.

After the game UWA-Nedlands coach Michael Janssen said his team had to play until the final whistle, while Fremantles Marc Anthony was proud of his side’s spirit but conceded the results did not help them too much.

Next week UWA-Nedlands are away to Joondalup City while Fremantle City have the bye before a trip to Bunbury.

UWA-Nedlands 2 (Kuma 77min, Wade og 79)
Fremantle City 2 (Roberts 84, Farmer 90+3)
Saturday, June 30
UWA Sporting Fields
Kick-off: 3pm
Referee: A Timor
Assistant referees: E Persse, I Prontoski

UWA-Nedlands: 1. Alex PREECE 2. Sam Guthridge 15. Thomas Moroney 5. Joshua Marocchi 14. Joseph HAYDON 28. Connor DEVLIN 11. Andrew XYDAS 7. Bryce CONWAY 4. Sam CARRELLO (Mordecai KUMA 56) 9. Luke RANDAZZO 10. Alexander KREFOWICZ
Substitutes not used: 8. Patrick MORRISSON 22. Brandon NAUDE 13. Rory DEVLIN 18. Tim ROSSI
Yellow cards: Nil
Red cards: Nil

Fremantle City: 1. Struan HERD. 2. Josh WADE (5. Ollie PARRY 68) 3. Sheldon NOGUERIA 8. Alan CARROLL 10. Alex ROBINSON 11. Callum ROBERTS 12. Sabin SHREATHA 14. Wade FARMER 15. Anthony LOMMA (4. Aaron COSLANI 55) 16. Rory KIELY 19. Ben REYNOLDS
Substitutes not used: 17. Tom STRICKLAND 6. Robert MARIANO
Yellow cards: ROBERTS 89
Red cards: Nil