hHome Find a Club
Photo: Fotoenzo

North Perth claim Reserves Amateur Cup

Report by Peter Simcox

A Gary Nolan brace has led North Perth United to claim the 2017 Reserves Amateur Cup Final with a 3-1 win against Wembley Downs at E&D Litis Stadium on Sunday.

Nolan gave his side the lead midway through the second half before Andy O’Neill doubled their advantage.

Barry O’Callaghan pulled one back from the spot for Wembley, but Nolan added his second in the final minute to give United the trophy.

Coach Luke O’Neill had praise for keeper Michael Dudek, despite a tense final ten minutes of the match.

“We knew Wembley would fight back and the conditions out there were hot, but I know my players and they give it their all to the end,” he said.

“At 2-1 we had our keeper to thank for a couple of great saves. He was great all day for us and I’m delighted we had him.”

O’Neill was pleased to take home the Cup, after losing the league title in the Final.

“It was a tough game today and Wembley played very well, but I’m delighted to win it,” he said.

“We were all very disappointed last week after conceding two late goals to lose the league title, but this makes up for it today.”

It was a slow first half with North Perth coming close to scoring on 20 minutes. A great run down the left by Michael English ended with a cross to Adam Pygrum, whose shot crashed off the crossbar.

Wembley hit back on the half hour as Darren McSweeney raced down the left and cut inside his marker but his cross-shot was well claimed by Dudek.

On 66 minutes North Perth scored the opener. Raido Reinsalu’s low cross was turned home by Nolan from five meters.

North Perth were in again four minutes later, Pygrum sending Reinsalu in on goal, but his shot was well saved by Tom Jordan-Pragnell.

It looked like North Perth had won it when Wembley failed to deal with a cross and Andy O’Neill finished low into the corner of the net, but Wembley had other ideas.  Two minutes later they were awarded a penalty and O’Callaghan made no mistake from the spot.

Wembley pressed for the equaliser but Matt Devereux’s effort was turned around the post by Dudek, and moments later the North Perth custodian produced a stunning save to deny O’Callaghan.

But with Wembley pushing men forward they were caught out on a quick counter attack in the final minute, Reinsalu again the provider crossing to Nolan, who found the net to win the Cup for North Perth.


North Perth United 3 (Nolan 66min, 90, O’Neill 76)

Wembley Downs 1 (O’Callaghan 78min pen)

Sunday October 1, 2017

E&D Litis Stadium

Referee: Wayne Nurse

Assistants: Sarel Steinauer and Callum Haddon

Fourth Official: Stephen Clark


North Perth United: GK Michael DUDEK, 2 Michael DOHERTY (13 Connor ENGELBRECHT 50’), 3 Stephen HEWITT, 4 Arnes VOJNIKOVIC (16 David BROWNLESS 78’), 5 Michael ENGLISH, 7 Daniel CONWAY, 9 Gary NOLAN, 11 Andy O’NEILL, 12 Raido REINSALU, 14 Chris ANDERSON (10 Darragh CULLEN 54’), 15 Adam PYGRUM

Substitutes not used: 6 Luke O’NEILL, 22 Dave CROOKES

Yellow cards: O’Neill 35’, Pygrum 50’

Red cards: Nil


Wembley Downs: GK Tom JORDAN-PRAGNELL, 5 Darren MCSWEENEY, 8 Barry O’CALLAGHAN, 22 Martyn KELLY, 26 Scott URQUHART, 27 Will FISHLEIGH, 35 Ally MCDERMID (14 Aiden GRAY 68’), 40 Conor FAGAN, 95 Matt DEVEREUX, 96 Nico RIVEROS, 97 Felipe SIMEOS (15 Christian MERRY 79’)

Substitutes note used: RGK Jayden HARDING, 28 Dylan MOORE, 21 Jeff DA SILVA

Yellow cards: Nil

Red cards: Nil