hHome Find a Club

Subiaco beat Belmont in a nail-biter

Report by Jonathon Daly

Subiaco’s Tim Pugh scored in the 87th minute to break a 40-minute stalemate and secure a 3-2 win against Belmont Villa in round 17 of the Amateur Premier League at Gerry Archer Sports Complex on Sunday.

It was neck and neck for the first half, with Belmont’s Darren Gamble scoring the first goal of the match through a crowded six-yard box in the 20th minute.

A quick pass from Subiaco’s Sean Johnson gave Ryan Fish a chance to even the score in the 27th minute.

Johnson soon found his own gap in Belmont’s defence, pushing Subiaco in front with an easy goal in the 37th minute.

Belmont levelled the score for the last time in the dying minutes of the first half with a goal from Nasser Hussein.

Fresh from a home game defeat against Kingsley last Sunday, Subiaco coach Les Cavill said the win against Belmont was a good boost to his side’s moral.

“Everybody in the group were pretty depressed after last week, but this will lift their spirits a bit,” he said.

“Most people would say that a draw would have been a fair result but I think the differences in goals was that we scored three quality ones.

“This time the boot was on the other foot from last week when we missed some very easy chances.”

Cavill felt Belmont put a lot of pressure on Subiaco in the second half and missed a few chances.

“Sometimes you can take your chances and sometimes it just doesn’t happen,” he said.

“This week that happened to Belmont. We only really had one good chance and we took it.”

Belmont controlled the majority of the second half, but they were unable to make the most of their chances, like Paul Mcormack and Patrick Barry’s near misses in the 88th and 89th minutes.

Belmont coach Phillip Weall said his side had more than enough chances and one on ones with Subiaco’s keeper.

“Obviously we are disappointed, but they are a good quality side and it was a good quality game from start to finish. The intensity was up,” he said.

“The third goal at the end was really disappointing because we had so much attacking play for the last 40 minutes and they get one near the end.

“It was a good game to watch. Some of the quality of the goals, especially some from the Subiaco guys earlier were really good.”

Belmont Villa 2 (Gamble 20min, 9, Nasser 10, 44)
Subiaco 3 (Fish 27min, 10, Johnson 9, 37, Pugh 3, 87)
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Gerry Archer Sporting COmplex
Referee: Shane Skinner
Assistant referees: Ton Klauer

Subiaco: 1. Thom BAKER, 2. David GROSE, 3. Tim PUGH, 4. Jakub CHRYSINSKI, 8. Chris NOEHRING, 9. Sean JOHNSON, 10. Ryan FISH, 11. Paddy BEGLEY, 13. Ian McCOLUM, 14. Kevin PUNSELIE, 16. Nafyn PATRIATCHI
Substitutes not used: 5. Liam BRICK, 15. Matt JONES, 17. Nick RICHARDS
Yellow cards: Chrysinski
Red cards: nil

Belmont Villa: 1. Stephen SZKLANKER, 2. Sean CARROLL, 3. Connor O’SHEA, 5. Darrell GIBNEY, 6. Paul MCORMACK, 7. Patrick BARRY, 8. James MCDAID, 9. Darren GAMBLE, 10. Nasser HUSSEIN, 11. James FAY, 14. A HORRICE
Substitutes not used:
Yellow cards: nil
Red cards: Carroll