hHome Find a Club
Wembley Downs celebrate their 3-0 defeat over Kingsley.

Wembley win it for Cleary

Report by Peter Simcox

Wembley Downs have moved five points clear at the top of the Amateur Premier League table after a 3-0 win against Kingsley FC on Sunday, in skipper Ian Cleary’s final home game for the club.

Anthony Jones missed an early penalty for the home side, but Stephen Geoghegan scored either side of half time and Jason Trveski headed home the third to wrap up the points as Wembley celebrated the last home game for the skipper, who heads home to Ireland in two weeks’ time.

Wembley coach Colm Costello said it was a fitting send off for their skipper, and a fantastic team performance.

“I thought we dominated the first half, and I thought the early penalty miss would come back to haunt us, but we rebounded and I thought that was the best performance since I’ve been at the club,” he said.

“They (Kingsley) are a good side and we knew we would have to fight for the win and we did, and I was really pleased for Ian (Cleary). It was one of his best performance in a red shirt.

“I thought we won the midfield battle, which was very important, and we’re really happy to send Ian off with a win in his final game at Butlers Reserve.

“But there is still a long way to go in the season, there is no trophy given out after 12 games we need to stay focused and it all starts at Belmont next week.”

Cleary was outstanding in the middle of the park said it was a well-deserved win.

“It was the best attack against the best defence, so it was a massive game, and I thought we were good today and deserved the win,” he said.

“We knew going into the game they had some dangerous players, and we did a lot of work on them and how to stop them in the week at training and it worked a treat.

“I thought we defended well, and Jonesy and Jason were great, although Jonesy will have to pay a fine for missing the penalty, that’s two in a row he’s missed.”

Only two points separated the sides at kick off, and the home side made the perfect start, when Luke Armstrong brought down Geoghegan, and referee Avi Cohen pointed straight to the spot.

Anthony Jones stepped to take the resulting penalty, but Kingsley keeper Paul Rainford guessed the right way to save down to his left.

The game was tight, with Wembley dominating possession, but Kingsley were dangerous on the counter-attack.

Mark King’s shot on the turn was saved by Kingsley keeper Rainford, before Jayden Drummond’s long-range free kick was tipped over by Wembley custodian Niall McCarthy.

But two minutes from half time the home side’s possession was rewarded with the lead. A long clearance was flicked on by King, sending Geoghegan clear.

The speedy winger was sent wide by the defender, but he cut back inside and fired home, despite Rainford getting a hand to it.

Kingsley lifted after the break and Drummond’s shot on the run was well saved by McCarthy, and the rebound was scrambled clear by Wembley.

It was the best period of the game for the visitors, and Drummond’s shot on the run flashed wide moments later.

But Wembley still looked dangerous going forward with Cleary, Trveski and Gavin Walsh running the show in the middle of the park.

Then on the hour the home side doubled their advantage. They won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and Geoghegan curled home the free kick superbly, into the top corner of the net giving Rainford no chance.

It was 3-0 eight minutes later, Geoghegan’s free kick picked out Trveski at the back post, who headed home powerfully from four meters.

Kingsley pressed late and David Ashworth’s shot was well saved by McCarthy, before substitute Stuart Montgomery chip was tipped over by the Wembley custodian.

The visitors went close to a consolation goal in stoppage time, but David Morris’ free kick crashed off the crossbar and away to safety.

In other results on the day North Perth lost ground on the leaders after a surprise 3-1 defeat against Southern Spirit at Woodville Reserve, while Leeming strikers came home from JA Lee Reserve with 2-0 win against Perth Royals.

Ellenbrook United beat Kwinana United 4-2 at the Ellenbrook Sports Hub, Hamersley Rovers beat Subiaco 2-1 at Carine Open Space, while Belmont Villa beat bottom of the table BB United 3-1 at the Bosnian Recreation Centre.


Wembley Downs 3 (Geoghegan 43min, 60, Trveski 68)

Kingsley SC 0

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Butlers Reserve

Kick-off: 3:00pm

Referee: Avi Cohen

Assistant Referees: Julius Mkandawire, Robert Newbury


Wembley Downs: GK Niall MCCARTHY, 2 Anthony JONES, 4 Blaine SLATER, 6 Ian CLEARY, 7 Stephen GEOGHEGAN, 15 Gavin WALSH, 17 Mark KING (9 Dean WALL 85’), 20 Jay MCDONALD, 32 Jason TRVESKI, 71 Gary MCCARTHY (5 Darren MCSWEENEY 87’), 97 Felipe SIMEOS (23 Andre MENDEZ 60’)

Substitutes not used: RGK Tom PRAGNALL, 96 Nicolas NOCALO

Yellow Cards: McDonald 34’, Cleary 75’, Jones 92’

Red Cards: Nil


Kingsley SC: GK Paul RAINFORD, 2 Cathal QUINN, 3 Jamie KANE, 4 Paul BOX, 6 Aaron LICKISS, 7 Lewis FLATT, 9 David MORRIS, 10 Jayden DRUMMOND, 11 Luke ARMSTRONG (5 Tom CANN 75’), 12 Jason MURRAY (18 Stuart MONTGOMERY 62’), 14 David ASHWORTH,

Substitutes not used: RGK Carl DIGGINS, 8 Bailey SALMON, 15 Steve ROCHE

Yellow cards:  Drummond 64’

Red cards: nil