hHome Find a Club
Kingsley completed a league and cup double with their 6-2 victory over Carramar. Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

Belt Up Amateur Cup Final: Kingsley seal double

Report by Peter Simcox

Kingsley completed a league and cup double after beating Carramar 6-2 in a pulsating Belt Up Amateur Cup Final at Macedonia Park.

It was a blistering start to the game with Jamie Gibson and Joel Gillespie scoring doubles for their respective teams inside the opening 22 minutes.

Simone Sichel and Josh Waldock then gave Kingsley a 4-2 lead at the break, before Steve Dimitrovich’s side went on to add the cup to their Premier Division title with goals from Sean Johnson and Baily Salmon.

“They made it hard for us early, and we had spoken about their physicality before the game. We needed to be on our game early but we gave away two soft goals,” Dimitrovich said.

“But once we got the game on our terms we dominated and went on with it, which is pleasing. We have worked on our set-pieces all season and it showed tonight, we scored some good goals and we’re delighted to have secured the double for the club.

“We look forward to next season in the State League.”

There was a big and noisy crowd on hand for the final, and it burst into life early when Carramar took the lead after only seven minutes. Josh Justice was brought down in the penalty area by Jesse Higgins and referee Walter Ciotti pointed straight to the spot.  Gibson stepped up and sent Ryan Moss the wrong way to give Division Two side Carramar the lead.

But Kingsley were level four minutes later. Gillespie’s inswinging corner wasn’t dealt with and it went straight in off the back post.

Amazingly 60 sixty seconds later Carramar were back in front. A poor back pass sent Gibson clear and he raced into goal, rounded Moss and finished into an empty net much to the delight of the Carramar faithful.

What a start to the game and the excitement wasn’t over there. A superb through ball from Jayden Drummond sent Waldock clear, but he was brought down on the edge of the box by Carramar keeper Matt Evans, who was lucky not to see red.

From the resulting free kick Gillespie curled the ball up and over the wall into the corner of the net to restore parity for Kingsley.

Kingsley were now on top and Gillespie had a perfect opportunity to give them the lead and complete his trick on the half hour. He was sent clear by a long clearance from Moss, but his shot on the run flashed inches wide of the target.

But that miss was forgotten two minutes later when Kingsley hit the front for the first time. Gillespie’s corner found the unmarked Sichel at the back post to head home.

On the stroke of half time Kingsley went 4-2 up as they dealt Carramar a crushing blow. Sichel turned provider this time has is long ball sent Waldock in on goal. There was some hesitation at the back, Waldock raced clear and finished low past Evans.

The second half was a little more subdued, Sichel firing wide for Kingsley early, before Carramar half time substitute Baily Seppings’ shot was saved low by Moss.

But Carramar hopes of causing an upset were hit further on 74 minutes when they were reduced to 10 men as Lee Blackwell received a second yellow card and was sent off.

Kingsley continued to press and their supporters were in full voice again eight minutes from time when Lee Thomas’ free kick picked out substitute Sean Johnson, who headed home to make it 5-2.

Carramar had a chance to get a consolation goal in the first minute of stoppage time when Moss brought down Gibson in the box. Unfortunately Gibson, who was on a hat-trick, fired his spot kick over the top.

Instead it was Kingsley put the icing on the cake two minutes later. A great cross-field pass found Salmon and he raced into the penalty area before finishing low past Evans to seal a comprehensive victory as Kingsley retained the Belt Up Amateur Cup in their final game before moving to Saturday football.

Kingsley’s Joel Gillespie, who only arrived back from Japan four hours before the game, paid tribute to Carramar.

“The first half was tight and both teams were going at it 100 miles an hour, but once we got our rhythm going, I thought we dominated from then on,” he said.

“But credit to Carramar they were like warriors out there and put a good shift in and I wish them all the best for next season.”

Star player: Joel Gillespie (Kingsley)

Kingsley 6 (Gillespie 11min 22, Sichel 32, Waldock 44, Johnson 80, Salmon 90+2)
Carramar 2 (Gibson 7, 12)

Sunday, September 29, 2019
Macedonia Park
Kick-off: 6.30pm
Referee: Walter Ciotti
Assistant referees: Neil Doran, Aaron Softley
Fourth official: Alex Best

Kingsley: GK Ryan MOSS, 2 Simone SICHEL (9 Sean JOHNSON 77), 3 Bailey SALMON, 4 Aaron LICKISS, 7 Lewis FLATT, 8 Joel GILLESPIE, 10 Jayden DRUMMOND, 12 Josh WALDOCK (11 Ryan BROWN 70), 13 Lee THOMAS, 15 Ryan CARR (5 Adam O’NIELL 55), 16 Jesse HIGGINS
Substitutes not used: RGK Rob ANDREWS, 6 Luke COLTMAN
Yellow cards: Drummond 5
Red cards: Nil

Carramar: GK Matt EVANS, 2 William DALZELL, 3 Matt CLEMANS, 5 Matt THOMAS (11 Baily SEPPINGS 46), 6 Lee BLACKWELL, 7 Wayne GUEST, 8 Kerion HARRISON, 9 Jamie GIBSON, 10 Harley CURRAN, 12 James MCKNIGHT (81), 14 Gary JAMES, 13 Josh JUSTICE (17 Lucas REID 70)
Substitutes not used: 4 Phil SIMMONS, 41 James MACE
Yellow cards: Blackwell 25 74, Guest 33, McKnight 37, Justice 52, Reid 80
Red cards: Blackwell 74