Multicultural Focus Football
In the world’s game every round is Multicultural Round!
Are people from your community or friends interested in playing regular competitive football?
Many emerging community groups are already involved in Football West competitions through clubs. Clubs are broadly multicultural and can often accomodate more players. Alternately, if you have a club which can field five teams or more inquire about competition options with the friendly staff at Football West.
Football West’s vision strategic plan is to make the game accessible and a great experience for all, supporting your football journey.
What’s on Now:
- 2020 pre-season
- Community programs through Edmund Rice Centre- see details below
- United Maylands Junior Football Club participation program (all-year) – see details below
Opportunities for recently arrived people to play include:
- Football West competitions, junior and senior
- Community themed tournaments – see below
- Common Goal Program (Mirrabooka and Padbury locations, another south of river coming soon)
- Edmund Rice Centre Parks Programs for the community – Koondoola, Middle Swan, Ellenbrook, The Vines, Lockridge
- Common Goal World Cup – 2019 – 7-a Side tournament on 13th October 2019
- United Maylands Junior Football Club – ongoing community program in Maylands. Contact Nega on 0401 916 653
- Africa Down Under Tournament – see details below
- Signing on to fubles.com
Resources and Related Information:
To play and join the WA football community find your local club for the winter competition season.
Become a referee, getting paid to use your knowledge, skill and fitness and enjoy the game through a new perspective.
Community Themed Tournaments
Football West works with various partner organisations to bring grassroots programs where:
•New friendships are formed and old friendships grow stronger
•People enjoy watching and playing the world game
•Rivalries are a friendly tradition rather than a point of conflict
•Clubs opens its doors for players, families and spectators to see how the game is played in WA
•Players are talent scouted and signed by clubs
2020 Tournaments include:
- Perth African Nations Cup brought to you by Perth African Nations Football Council INC (January)
- Africa Down Under Tournament – see below (September)
- Perth Amateur World Cup, brought to you by Latin American Association of WA (October/November)
- Perth Asian Cup (October/November)
Africa Down Under Tournament – Annual Event
Football West with Paydirt Media, which runs the annual Africa Down Under Mining Conference in Perth’s CBD has delivered the annual Africa Down Under Cup since 2012.
The 5-a-side teams are local African community-themed and are engaged to:
- increase participation rates and opportunities for the benefit of local culturally diverse communities
- showcase the benefits of the game to international ministers and business representatives
- establish links between community level football and corporations
The 2019 tournament celebrated Africa Day on Thursday 5 September in an atmosphere of hypnotic African music and drumming and halal African food aromas, scores of multicultural boys and girls playing fun games, a lively crowd with hundreds cheering, with the final played under lights to a backdrop of Perth’s city lights and sunset.
Thanks goes to event and team supporters:
- Department of Local Government, Sport and Culture Industries through Office of Multicultural Interests funding
- Paydirt Media
- Healthway (Smarter Than Smoking)
- Department of Home Affairs
- Base Resources
- Walkabout Resources
- Force Commodities
- Bill Johnston
- Capital Drilling
- Cardinal Resources
- Arthur J Gallagher
- PCF Capital
- Football West
Congratulations BDO and Team TOGO on winning 2019 Men’s tournament and defending their title from 2018
Congratulations Paydirt and Team Uganda on winning the 2019 Women’s tournament.
Important Information: Insurance Cover for Recent Arrivals and Non-Residents
While Football West works hard to ensure player safety, accidents can happen and so a nationwide insurance policy complements coverage of Medicare and private health insurance.
Players covered by this insurance include those:
- in Football West programs; and
- registered at Football West member clubs
This insurance is designed to cover costs over and above the Medicare-inclusive and/or private health insurance-inclusive coverage.
This insurance will not substitute coverage of and will not apply where a player does not have Medicare entitlement or private health insurance.
We implore that participants consider what coverage their health insurance or Medicare entitlement provides prior to participating or registering to play.
Football West’s Inclusive Development Program is proudly sponsored by Healthway, promoting the Smarter than Smoking Message.