hHome Find a Club

Perth claim the cup on penalties

Report by Jayden Lihou

Perth SC’s Under 18 team have claimed the State Cup after defeating Armadale in a penalty shoot-out at Perth Plasterboard Centre Stadium on Saturday.

It had appeared that Daniel Cumming’s 88th minute strike would give Armadale the victory until Perth’s Khaynan MacCarthy made it 1-1 a mere four minutes later to send the match to penalties.

Goalkeeper Makek Kuc would prove to be the hero for Perth as he saved two Armadale spot-kicks to help his side win 4-1 on penalties.

Perth coach Basil Lenzo said he never lost faith in his side in what he called a nerve-racking game.

“All credit to Armadale, they absolutely came out and played today and gave us a good game,” he said.

“After we had equalised, I was quietly confident on the penalties and I thought Makek (Kuc) was a standout in goals.

“Regardless of what age group, a cup final is always going to be a tough and scrappy game but the boys battled all day and put in a great team performance.”

Armadale had a chance to take an early lead in the 25th minute when a through ball from Eraste Vyamunga found Luke Tester in the box, but Kuc was equal to his effort.

U18's Armadale v Perth SC 22_07_17 (238)

Perth had a chance for themselves in the 37th minute when Shay Donovan stole the ball of a defender before laying it off to Kristian Santich, who fired his first-time shot over the bar.

In the second half Perth’s Kristian Santich came the closest to scoring in the 65th minute when his effort from outside the box crashed of the post.

It was then Armadale’s turn to push who were also denied by the woodwork in the 77th minute when Vyamunga’s free-kick in a crossing position fooled the defence and keeper before hitting the far-post.

The break-through finally came in the 88th minute when a through-ball put Cumming one-on-one with the keeper and this time the Armadale player made no mistake.

U18's Armadale v Perth SC 22_07_17 (1872)

Perth piled the pressure on their opponents pushing forward in search for a late equaliser and were rewarded in the 92nd minute when an attempted clearance from an Armadale player deflected off MacCarthy and found its way into the back of the net, forcing the match to penalties.

In the shoot-out, Darragh Nagel and Abdullahi Osman had their penalties saved by Kuc, while Perth’s Louis Rossi finished comfortably to make it four out of four from Perth and to ensure his side took home the cup.

Despite the defeat, Armadale coach Joe Pugliese gave nothing but praise for his side.

“In the first-half I thought we created enough chances to score a few goals and in the second the game levelled out, but overall I thought our side played very well,” he said.

“In the end I just put it down to a lucky goal from Perth, but overall it was a great game from the two best teams in the league.

“When the game goes to penalties, it goes to penalties and the team that puts it in wins and unfortunately that wasn’t us today.”

Armadale 1 (Cumming 88min)
Perth SC 1 (MacCarthy 90+min)
Perth SC win 4-1 on penalties

Saturday, July 22, 2017
Perth Plasterboard Centre Stadium
Kick-off: 10.00am
Referee: Jake Friend
Assistant Referees: Mitch Barrington, Harry Bolan
Fourth Official: Callum Haddow

Armadale: GK. Duncan LENNON BLACK, 7. Alex BOND, 8. Darragh NAGEL, 9. Luke TESTER (3. Conor DUNNE 83’), 10. Eraste VYAMUNGA, 11. Abdullahi OSMAN, 14. Daniel CUMMING (4. Jacob DE SILVA 90’), 18. Charlie SIMPSON, 19. Daniel STONE (5. Brad GREIPL 69’), 20. Connor MACRAE, 22. Jack CAPPENDELL
Substitutes not used: 2. Anthony LUCY, 32. Conor MCFALL
Yellow Cards: Simpson 32, Nagel 50, Osman 90
Red Cards:

Perth SC: GK. Malek KUC, 3. Nick MESSINA, 5. Lucas ROSSI, 6. Ben PULLELLA, 8. Lennon CRANE, 9. Louis ROSSI, 11. Shay DONOVAN (14. Jackson ELRIDGE 76’), 15. Kristian SANTICH, 16. Khaynan MACCARTHY, 17. Callum MAGEE (20. Sam THORNILEY 59’), 22. Matthew LENZO (C),
Substitutes not used: 1. Sebastian BELL, 21. Angelo CALASSE
Yellow cards: Pullella 49, Kuc 86
Red Cards: