hHome Find a Club
Delight for Olympic Kingsway after winning the Men's State League Division One Finals Series cup. Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

Olympic strike double gold

Report by Peter Simcox

Olympic Kingsway have capped off a successful 2020 season by lifting the Men’s State League Division One Finals Series cup.

The Green Machine defeated Fremantle City 2-0 at Dorrien Gardens on Saturday evening.

The match burst into life in the final 10 minutes, with Ajak Riak and Chris Balazs scoring to give Gary Williams’ side the league and cup double.

“I thought the first half was a tight game, but I thought in the second half we took control,” the Olympic coach said. “It’s been a great season for us and tonight completes it. I couldn’t be happier.”

There were early chances at both ends. Riak fired over the top before Olympic goalkeeper Dave Keenan got down well to save Sam McKearnen’s effort.

City keeper Todd Hoyle then denied Riak before Riley Van Dieken volleyed over at the other end.

Both sides had their best opportunities of the half in stoppage time. Keylun Pollard found Riak, whose shot on the turn hit the outside of the post. Moments later Van Dieken was sent down the left, his effort beat Keenan but it flashed inches past the far post.

Olympic started the second half well and Pollard was denied by a smart Hoyle save. The Riak’s close-range shot crashed off both posts before Angus Grant cleared the ball off the line.

The Fremantle goal was leading a charmed life and Hoyle spread himself well to save from Pollard moments later.

Then against the run of play Fremantle went close with Mustafa Irambona racing clear, but Keenan stood tall. The Olympic goalkeeper produced another smart save to thwart Van Dieken but still it was scoreless.

That all changed on 83 minutes. It was Keenan who started the move, after he produced a smart low save to deny Egide Ngendakumana. A quick clearance sent Pollard racing down the left and his low cross was finished by Riak.

And two minutes later Kingsway made the game safe. Asher Nelson’s corner found Balazs and he turned the ball home at the back post.

Olympic skipper Luke Palmateer said: “It was a disciplined performance from the boys tonight. We spoke how organised they were and we had to match them, and we did.

“It’s been an awesome season for us, we set goals at the start and we’ve been lucky enough to have achieved them.”

Subiaco defeated Quinns 5-2 to win the Men’s State League Division One Reserevs Top Four Cup. Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

In the Division One Reserves final, Liam Hurley scored twice as Subiaco beat Quinns FC 5-2.

Subiaco lifted the Men’s State League Division Two 18s Top Four Cup. Photo by Footbal West/FotoEnzo

Subi also won the Division One 18s final, defeating Joondalup United 3-0. Trent Coehn got a double.

Wanneroo CIty celebrate after winning the Men’s State League Division Two 18s Top Four Cup. Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

The Division Two 18s final went to Wanneroo City, who beat Morley Windmills 3-2. Kyle Speakman hit a late winner for the Roos.

On Sunday, there will be five finals and all will be live streamed.

First up is the NPLWA Men’s 18s encounter between Bayswater City and Sorrento (10am). Then it’s the NPLWA Women’s 23 decider between Northern Redbacks and Fremantle City (12.15pm). Next sees Bayswater City and ECU Joondalup clash in the NPLWA Men’s 20 final (2.30pm).

The final two matches are the NPLWA first team finals.

Meeting in the Women’s final are Northern Redbacks and Fremantle City (4.45pm).

Finally it’s the Men’s final between Floreat Athena and hosts Perth SC, which kicks off at 7.15pm.

All finals which are level at 90 minutes will go straight to penalties with the exception of the NPLWA first team games, which will have extra time and then penalties if necessary.

Admission to Dorrien Gardens is $10.