hHome Find a Club
Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

Poignant final win for AFC Joondalup

Football West News

AFC Joondalup put a tough season behind them by taking out the Belt Up Masters Cup Final with a 3-0 win against Kingsley – and then dedicated the success to former player Garin Collins, who passed away early this year.

Danny Allen gave the North Premier Division runners-up an early lead at Perth Plasterboard Centre Stadium on Sunday afternoon and they dominated the North Division Two champions for most of the game.

However they had to wait until late in the game to put it to bed, with late goals from Richard Burton and Darron Morris.

At the final whistle all the AFC players put on blue shirts with Collins’ name and his number on the back, and coach Graham Tyson explained how big a win it was for the club.

“We had Garin’s parents and sister here today to watch the game. It’s a massive game for the club and for Garin and this win means so much to us,” he said.

“It’s the only trophy we haven’t won in 10 years and Garin’s last words to me was we’re going to win the league and cup we’ve done it for him today. We scored a couple of great finishes to seal the win.

“It was a little cagey in the first half. They (Kingsley) hadn’t been beaten all season, but once we got ahead there was only one winner. Credit to the lads we’ve been through thick and thin this season, and it’s absolutely magic to get that result today.”

Kingsley coach Ben Foster admitted the early goal wasn’t the best of starts and they were caught out late looking for the equaliser.

“The penalty early was what it was, and we battled until half time and I said at half time we weren’t going down without a fight and made some changes and pushed forward and they took advantage,” he said.

“But we’ve had a real solid season for our first season in the Masters. We’ve got a great bunch of lads and we did well to reach the cup final, but it wasn’t our day today.”

Photo by Football West/FotoEnzo

AFC and Kingsley both wore green armbands in a mark of respect for the late Collins but it was Joondalup who were in front in only the second minute.

Referee Darren Quinlan pointed to the spot after Jamie Astley was brought down by Kingsley keeper Kevan Towers. Two penalties were missed in the first cup final of the day but Allen made no mistake with his to give AFC the lead.

Kingsley looked to hit back immediately when Stuart Green was given far too much space on the edge of the penalty area, but his shot was saved low by Andy Banks.

AFC were creating the better chances and Burton’s snap shot flashed wide on 10 minutes, before Astley sent Kevin Munro in on goal six minutes later but his shot was deflected wide.

It was more of the same after half time. Steven O’Kelly’s free kick was headed back across goal and Simon Turner’s shot on the turn flashed wide, before Burton’s long-range lob drifted just over the top.

There were two drinks breaks on the day as the hot conditions made it difficult for both sides, but still it was AFC creating the better chances.

On the hour Ian Griffiths great through ball sent Astley in on goal, but Kingsley keeper Towers was out smartly to save at the strikers’ feet.

Kingsley task was made even harder when John O’Brien was shown a straight red card by referee Quinlan after he hauled back Astley, who was heading towards goal and was deemed the last man.

Then 10 minutes from time AFC scored the decisive second goal. Kingsley lost possession in the middle of the park and the ball was played down the left channel to Burton, who curled his shot home superbly giving Towers no chance.

The icing was put on the cake six minutes later when AFC added a third. The lively Griffiths played in Morris who finished clinically to finish off a special day for the AFC Joondalup club.

AFC Joondalup 3 (Allen pen 2, Burton 80, Morris 86)
Kingsley 0
Sunday September 23
Perth Plasterboard Centre Stadium
Referee: Darren Quinlan
Assistant referees: David Clarke, Andrew Smith
Fourth official: John Westmerland

AFC Joondalup: GK Andy BANKS, 2 Scott WYETH, 3 Steven O’KELLY, 5 Simon TURNER, 6 Mark SALMON, 7 Lee FLETCHER, 8 Paul HOLLIDAY, 9 Andy SALLIS, 10 Jamie ASTLEY, 12 Kevin MUNRO, 14 Ian GRIFFITHS, 18 Richard BURTON, 19 Francis WESTHEAD, 27 Darron MORRIS, 33 Stephen LLOYD, 55 Danny ALLEN
Yellow cards: Westhead 50’, Burton 73’
Red  cards: Nil

Kingsley: GK Kevan TOWERS, 2 Graeme BLACK, 3 David WILLIAMS, 4 Ian WOOLLEY, 5 Barry LEWIS, 6 David SWALES, 7 Stuart GREEN, 8 Adam MCCREATH, 9 Adam ROBERTSON, 10 Alistair WAYDA, 11 Allan BRADY, 12 John ASHWORTH, 13 Adam KITCHEN, 14 Shaun LITTLE, 15 Oliver FORSTER, 16 John O’BRIEN
Yellow cards: Towers 2’, McCreath 31’ O’Brien 42’, Little 49’
Red cards: O’Brien 75’