hHome Find a Club

Rycroft gives Knights comeback win

Football West News

Western Knights have opened up a two-point gap at the top of State League Division One following their spirited 3-2 win at Olympic Kingsway on Saturday.

Returning to the scene of their Night Series Final triumph in March, and against the same opponents, Knights slipped behind when Gyles Davies scored on 14 minutes.

Alexander Kretowicz brought Knights on terms before the break, before Ajak Riak restored the home side’s lead 16 minutes from time.

But Kingsway regrouped and levelled again when Kretowicz got his second. Then two minutes later Jack Rycroft popped up to bring Knights their fourth win from four.

Second-place Forrestfield United dropped their first points of the season after Mandurah City scored an equaliser six minutes into stoppage time.

It was an emotional day for Forrestfield who, like every other NPL and State League club, took part in a minute’s silence to remember their former coach Rod Banjac who died last week.

John Baird put Mandurah ahead in only the eighth minute, yet within 60 seconds United were level thanks to Tarek Atta.

Five minutes before the break Atta added his second and that looked enough to maintain his side’s 100 per cent start. However, Mandurah substitute Lee Stewart had other ideas and he struck deep in stoppage time to ensure it finished all-square.

Richie Howles scored two second-half goals as third-placed Quinns came from behind to defeat bottom side Swan United 4-1.

John Monterosso gave Swan the lead but by half-time Quinns had answered through Jordan Rowe and captain Greg Pellow.

Joondalup United and Fremantle City played out an entertaining 4-4 draw at Forrest Park, Josh Whitmore earning United a draw after they had relinquished the lead three times.

James Olroyd, Dion Berman and Jamie Gardiner from the penalty spot were United’s other scorers, while Fremantle’s goals came via Dantae Greer (2), Riley Van Dieken and Abias Bukuru.

UWA Nedlands produced a strong second-half performance to win 4-1 at Subiaco.

Hanafi Ghazali’s ninth-minute opener meant Subi had their noses in front at half-time. But it was a different story after the break as Ivwananji Simbile (2), Dhamon Kalamaras and Lloyd Prout turned the match around.

In the other game, Gavin Knight’s penalty wasn’t enough to give Stirling Lions the win as they were held 1-1 at Ashfield.

Action from Division Two as Wanneroo City win at Kelmscott Roos. Photo by Cat Bryant

In Division Two, James Burns claimed a hat-trick as leaders Wanneroo City made it four straight wins with a 7-1 victory at Kelmscott Roos.

Kingsley Westside, Joondalup City and Canning City are all three points behind on nine points.

Like Forrestfield, it was a tough day for Dianella White Eagles, the side Rod Banjac was the coach of at the time of his passing. They played their fixture at Gosnells City and won 3-2.

Division One results

Division Two results