hHome Find a Club
Bayswater matchwinner Gordon Smith celebrates his goal. Photo by Peter Simcox

Smith sends Bayswater into FFA Cup national Round of 32

Football West News

Bayswater City moved into the FFA Cup national Round of 32 and the Belt Up Cup Final after a hard fought 1-0 win against Rockingham City at Frank Drago Reserve on Sunday afternoon.

The only goal of the preliminary Round Seven tie came from Scottish striker Gordon Smith 20 minutes from time.

And despite Rockingham pressing late in the game they couldn’t find the equaliser as Bayswater moved into their first State Cup Final since 2014.

Bayswater will face Floreat Athena in the Belt Up Cup Final, a repeat of the NPL WA Night Series Final which Floreat won on penalties.

The rain clouds were hovering at kick off but it didn’t affect the home side who were on the front foot early. Daryl Nicol’s shot on the run flashed inches wide after only 10 minutes, before the Scottish winger’s acrobatic volley went over the top moments later.

But Rockingham hit back and veteran keeper Gianni Papalia was out quickly to thwart James Harmer five minutes later, before a Riley van Dieken shot whistled the wrong side of the upright.

The best chance of the half fell to Rockingham two minutes before the break. A great run by the speedy van Dieken ended with a ball into Harmer, whose goal bound shot was well saved by Papalia.

Smith was in on goal early in the second half after good approach work from Jason Mirco, but a great last-ditch tackle from Mitch Firth saved the day for Rockingham.

Bayswater players mob Smith after his goal. Photo by FotoEnzo

Rockingham were dangerous going forward and Papalia was at full stretch to tip Jason Pottier’s shot from the edge of the box around the post.

Bayswater thought they had a penalty five minutes later when Nicol fell under a challenge from Jarred Mort, but referee Josh Mannella was well placed to wave away their protests.

But on 70 minutes the home side found the opener. A ball over the top sent Smith clear and he held off Firth before finishing with aplomb past Cyril Sharrock.

Rockingham weren’t finished and led superbly by skipper Harmer they pressed for the equaliser. Papalia reacted well to save Harmer’s angled shot, before Firth fired straight at the Bayswater keeper moments later.

With Rockingham pushing men forward Bayswater were always dangerous on the break and Nicol shot straight at Sharrock, before Todd Howarth’s cross picked out Giordano Colli but his effort was well saved by Sharrock.

However Rockingham couldn’t find the equaliser, and at the final whistle it was Bayswater celebrating a spot in the last 32 of the FFA Cup and place in next month’s Belt Up Cup Final, where they will face Floreat.

Star player: Gordon Smith (Bayswater City)

Bayswater City 1 (Smith 70min)
Rockingham City 0

 FFA Cup Round Seven
Sunday, June 16
Frank Drago Reserve
Kick-off: 3:00pm
Referee: Josh Mannella
Assistant referees: Julian Serra, Simon Hicks
Fourth official: David Bruce

Bayswater City: GK Gianni PAPALIA, 3 Jack ALLEN (6 Todd HOWARTH 75), 10 Jason MIRCO, 11 Ryan PEARSON, 13 Trent KAY (c), 17 Daryl NICOL (24 Jake SARDELIC 85), 18 Brent GRIFFITHS (2 Declan HARGREAVES 51), 19 Gordon SMITH, 20 Giordano COLLI, 27 Ross MILLARD, 30 Adam TONG
Substitutes not used: RGK Sam REILLY, 5 Adam HARRIS
Yellow cards: Griffiths 24, Tong 27, Mirco 90+3
Red cards: Nil

Rockingham City: GK Cyril SHARROCK, 3 Justis BRADLEY, 6 Blake SOKOLOWKI (14 Ryan KENNEDY 84), 8 Jason POTTIER (5 Harry COLLINS 79), 9 Sam McKEARNEN, 10. James HARMER (c), 11 Riley VAN DIEKEN, 13 Jarred MORT, 18 Michael FARMER, 20 Mitch FIRTH, 23 Victor BRAUNER (15 Shaz RAMLEE 84)
Substitutes not used: RGK James GREHAN, 16 Luke HOBSON
Yellow cards: Farmer 19, Firth 78
Red cards: Nil